Lawrence Schiller is a famed American contemporary artist, most notably known for his work as a screenwriter, director, and film producer. He was born on December 28, 1936 in New York City — specifically, Brooklyn — and then grew up just outside of San Diego, California. He attended the prestigious Pepperdine College in Los Angeles, and then proceeded to work for some of the top names in the print industry as a photojournalist, including Life Magazine, The Sunday Times, Time, Paris Match, Stern, Newsweek, and The Saturday Evening Post.
In addition to his inspired work as a talented photojournalist, Lawrence Schiller also worked in print, by writing, publishing and/or collaborating on several works, including the following:
- Marilyn & Me, A Photographer’s Memories by Lawrence Schiller
- Into the Mirror by Lawrence Schiller
- Cape May Court House by Lawrence Schiller
- Perfect Murder, Perfect Town by Lawrence Schiller
- American Tragedy by Lawrence Schiller and James Willwerth
- I Want to Tell You by O.J. Simpson with Lawrence Schiller
- Oswald’s Tale: An American Mystery by Norman Mailer
- The Executioner’s Song by Norman Mailer
- The Fath of Graffiti by Norman Mailer and Jon Naar
- Marilyn: A Biography by Norman Mailer and the world’s foremost photographers
- Ladies and Gentlemen, Lenny Bruce by Albert Goldman and Lawrence Schiller
- The Killing of Sharon Tate by Susan Atkins and Lawrence Schiller
- LSD by Richard Alpert, Sidney Cohen and Lawrence Schiller
His list of filmography work is equally as vast and impressive, and includes the following:
- Master Spy, (Producer/Director)
- American Tragedy, (Producer/Director)
- Perfect Murder, Perfect Town, (Producer/Director)
- Double Jeopardy, (Producer/Director)
- The Plot to Kill Hitler, (Director)
- Margaret Bourke-White, (Producer/Director)
- Peter the Great, 3 Emmy Awards, (Executive Producer/Director)
- The Executioner’s Song, 2 Emmy Awards, (Producer/Director)
- Murder: By Reason of Insanity, (Producer)
- Her Life As a Man, (Producer)
- The Patricia Neal Story, 1 Emmy Award, (Producer)
- Child Bride of Short Creek, (Co-Producer)
- Marilyn: The Untold Story, 1 Emmy Award, (Producer/Co-Director)
- I Love My Friends, -Kris Kardashian Music Video (Director)
- The Winds of Kitty Hawk, (Producer)
- Hey, I’m Alive, (Producer/Director)
- The Trial of Lee Harvey Oswald, (Producer)
- The Man Who Skied Down Everest, (USA Director)
- The Lexington Experience, (Producer/Director)
- The American Dreamer, (Co-Director)
- Soon There Will Be No More Me, (Producer/Director)
- Lady Sings The Blues, (Titles/still montage Director)
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, (Still montage Director)
Schiller also worked extensively in television, producing and/or directing countless shows. For his inspired work, Schiller earned several notable awards and recognitions, including Emmy Awards from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, The Christopher Award, and numerous National Press Photographers Association Photographic Awards. In addition, he was also a proud representative of the United States in the US / USSR bilateral talks in Washington and Moscow, where he drafted and signed treaties with the government of the former USSR. He is also a representative of the United States in the Moscow International Peace Forum.
Lawrence Schiller Artwork
If you are interested in learning more about Lawrence Schiller, or if you are considering adding one of his photographs to your art collection, then you have come to the right place. We are Hamilton-Selway Fine Art, and we are proud to be one of the largest and most diverse purveyors of pop art, contemporary art, and fine art on the West Coast. We have been steadily growing ever since we first opened our doors nearly 20 years ago, and we are proud of how far we have come.
Why do thousands of our clients and friends trust us year after year to help make their art wishes and dreams a reality? That’s simple. It’s because we stick to a simple philosophy – we pride ourselves on offering our clients the best selection of contemporary and fine art, in the best condition, and at the best prices.
And how can we do that? That’s simple, too. We offer our clients our unique niche in the art business. Rather than simply acting as a middleman between buyer and seller, we manage, supply, and maintain our own expansive inventory, which gives us greater control over what we have to offer to our clients, as well as a deeper knowledge and understanding of the pieces themselves, as well as what condition they are in.
When you are ready to buy or sell your fine art, or if you are searching for limited edition prints from your favorite artist, give us a call or stop by to see us. We are looking forward to hearing from you!